Thursday, July 22, 2010

July 14

The Monday after going to UB for Naadam it was a really chill day. I did some yoga with my little brother and cousins. That was entertaining in itself. Then I went over to Jo’s ger where a bunch of us just hung out for a bit and talked. Overall a really relaxing day.
The next day I thought was going to be the same. Come to find out I was totally wrong, which was fine. I got up and was fiddling around doing nothing too exciting. Then my mom came into my ger and informed me that we were going to the hodoo. (Country side) So we were off. Then before we got out of town we met up with Brittany, my other site mate, and I rode in her car with her. Let me just say I experienced some more Mongolian off roading. When they drive her if they have a choice between a paved road and a non-paved road, they chose the non. That was an adventure. At one point we hit a ditch so hard it turned off the engine, which should give you an idea of how the ride went.
Upon arriving we were basically out in the middle of nowhere and there were a bunch of cars. We got out and joined the crowd. There we stood on the tiny little stadium of sorts that should have been for about 15 people but there were a lot more then just 15 people on this thing. We watched a total of three fights, I say watched but I couldn’t see anything over everyone. Afterwards we went to look for food. We ended up deciding on Naadam Hos-sures. (which are basically dough with meat inside that are fried) We took them back to our cars and ate. Then Brittany’s family was going to go to the Hodoo to visit their family and asked me to come along. I thought I was already in the countryside, but I was wrong. We were in the countryside just not completely there yet.
I decided to go along for the ride where I experienced some more off roading. We were really getting out in the middle of nowhere! I finally have experience being in the BFE. I mean I thought I used to live there in Tallassee, Tennessee but nope! Once we got there we were ushered into a ger. Then they gave us some Sue-tee-tea (tea, salt, water, and milk) as well as the meat try. Ok folks when I say meat tray I mean it. PLUS this lovely meat tray had a GOAT FACE on it! I about died! Let’s just say I did not eat that!!! Then I met the family cat! I wanted to steal it!! It was the first cat I had seen her in Mongolia!
Ok after ‘eating’ we went outside to see all the other animals. They had a BUNCH of horses and cows. I got to wear my first Dell, which was really exciting! A dell is basically a robe dress thing that Mongolians wear when they are outside working. I want one! I think I am going to have one made. Then Brittany started to play volleyball with everyone while I played with the cat. Soon it was time to go but I seriously thought about taking that cat with me but I didn’t. Then we got into the car to go home. Before leaving the ger-site they stoped the car and the family members brought us the CAT!!! I was so excited! I have no idea why they did so, I guess this cat goes in between homes but I didn’t care because I got to hold the cat on the way home. Plus we named the cat hodoo monster otherwise known as H&M. (Yes like the store) :)
SO the ride home….y’all I thought I was going to be stuck out in the middle of the hodoo! Our car kept dying. I mean it would work for like a minute and then die. This was going on for quite a bit. We left at 8:30 and finally my Dad came and got us at 11:30. Thank goodness for him other wise we would have been out there all night! So my day that I thought was going to be uneventful turned out to be an adventurous one at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment